Return To Home Page
Main Site Navigation
Search This Site
Call Us!
Like Us On Facebook! Follow Us On Twitter! +1 On Google! Watch On YouTube! LinkedIn
Like Us On Facebook! Follow Us On Twitter! +1 On Google! Watch On YouTube! LinkedIn
Friday, September 18, 2020
WordPress Site - Powered By MyInstantTheme - For Business
WordPress Site - Powered By MyInstantTheme - For Business

"Black and White T-shirt"

Natural Health | Chiropractor | Canton

Louisville

History of Louisville, OH

 

Louisville, Ohio is known as Constitution Town.  First settled in 1834 by Henry Lautzenheiser, from Germany, and Henry Fainot, a French Huguenot, Louisville became officially incorporated in 1872. Louisville, pronounced LEWIS-ville, was originally named after Lautzenheiser’s son, Lewis, and was spelled Lewisville until 1837 when the post office was established.  It was discovered that there was another city in Ohio with the name Lewisville and the name was changed to Louisville.

Until the development of the railroad in 1835, Louisville was a stagecoach crossroads for traffic going between Canton, Alliance, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  By 1852 many new businesses had been established in Louisville due to the marketing outreach provided by the railroad thus firmly establishing the prosperity of the region.

Some of the 19th century industries included a plow manufacturing company, a woolen mill, a brewery which produced 2,000 barrels annually, a basket factory, flour mills, tanneries, and a brick yard.

In 1952, a Louisville resident by the name of Olga Weber was successful in establishing Constitution Day in honor of the ratification of the US Constitution in 1789. Olga then petitioned the Ohio assembly the following year to establish a state wide Constitution Day.  Her request was honored and September 17 became recognized state wide as Constitution Day.

Olga Weber continued her quest and petitioned the U.S. Senate to establish a national recognition of the week of September 17 as Constitution Week.  President Dwight Eisenhower signed the request into law in 1953.  In 1957 Louisville was declared as the Constitution Town.  The work of one person has brought a permanent honor to this small city.

Even though most of the towns in Stark County have lost residents over the years, Louisville’s population has slowly but steadily increased.  The largest growth times for the city were in the 1920’s and the 1950’s. The population surpassed 5,000 in the 1950’s and the town’s status changed from “village” to “city.”  The 2010 census reported Louisville’s population as 9,186.

A wealth of demographic information concerning Louisville can be found at City-Data.com.