North Canton Ohio Has German Background
North Canton Ohio, known as the Dogwood city, first began as the Village of New Berlin in 1831. The first 23 lots were established at an angular intersection of Market Street, now called Main Street, and Portage Street.
New Berlin was the first village to be plotted in Plain Township, one of the original townships created when Stark County was organized in March of 1809.
During World War I, it became unpopular to be associated with anything German. Even though the residents were primarily of German descent, they decided that the community’s name needed to be changed. In January of 1918, New Berlin became known as North Canton.
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner
North Canton Ohio is the home of the Hoover Company, the manufacturer of Hoover vacuum cleaners. The home of “Boss” Hoover, the founder of the company, is now the location of a vacuum cleaner museum. The house itself in on the National Register of Historical Places.
The Hoovers helped to shape the community of North Canton Ohio in a variety of ways. In 1923, the first community building was a gift, by “Boss” Hoover to the city of North Canton. Mr. Hoover also helped to establish the library.
The financing of Memorial Stadium, which was dedicated in 1946, was also made possible because of The Hoover Company. Because of Hoover’s contributions to North Canton, the residents chose to name the local high school after him in 1957. The High School has since been rebuilt on 7th Street in North Canton.
Just one year short of 100 years of continuous operation the Hoover Company, then owned by TTI, ceased operations, in the year 2007, and the property was sold. IRG (Industrial Realty Group) is the current owner of the Hoover property and is repurposing the property through multi-use development.
A Thriving Population
As the Hoover Company grew, the town’s population also grew. In 1930, the vacuum cleaner manufacturer employed 1,432 people, and the town’s population was at 2,648. In 2010, the population of North Canton was 17,488 up 6.8% from the year 2000.
North Canton Ohio has been the home of many other companies that have grown to be significant national names. Diebold, Inc. which employs over 700 locally, is a world leader in the manufacturing and sales of automatic bank teller machines (ATM’s).
Some of the other North Canton area employers of note are Walsh University, Portage Electric, ASC Industries, Wilkof-Morris Steel, Alpha Enterprises, Suarez Corporation, GE Capital, Harry London’s Candies, Kohler Coating Machinery Corp, Lectrotherm Inc., Liquid Control Corp., Paarlo Plastics Inc., Seco Machine, Sun States Plastics, Xcel Mold & Machine, and Xpress Print Inc.
To keep up with more history of Stark County cities and towns as well as other special deals and business information sign up for our free newsletter by filling out the form below.